As a teacher, the most difficult task is to keep students engaged throughout the lecture. One such strategy top do so is the Round Robin strategy to teach students in an informal and fun way. There are many activities to plan under the round robin approach to help students brainstorm in a fun way. It is a little different from brainstorming because the biggest feature of this strategy is that each and every student participates equally in the discussion. Let us know more about round robin teaching strategy in detail.
List of activities to use in classroom with Round Robin Approach
Storytelling is a great way to use the round robin teaching strategy and for this, teachers can create chits of different words such as objects, colors, places, or anything. Then each student has to take a chit. One student will start the story with the chit as its main character and the next student has to continue the story with their chit name as the character and this will go on until all the students have contributed to the story.
Reading & Writing Activity
Using reading and writing can help in incorporating many skills in students such as teamwork skills, writing skills, and many more. In this activity, one student has to start the story and the other student will continue it and it goes on until every student has finished the story. Another way is the writing activity. One student starts the story and after the set time, he/she passes the paper back and forth. Every student continues the story and completes it. The student narrates the entire story in front of the class.
Splitting the classroom into 2 teams and then creating subject-wise trivia on the previously covered chapters and giving points to the team on the right answers. This is helpful for revisions of students for exams.
Steps to implement Round Robin Teaching Strategy
Here are the steps to implementing the round robin teaching strategy in your classroom.
1. Choose the topics or questions you want your students to brainstorm on.
2. Arranging the desks in the classroom according to the flow of discussion is smooth among the students.
3. Assign a leader to each group, provide each group of students with a sheet to write the concussion points and a recorder to record the discussions.
4. Set a timer for each topic discussion and at the end of time each group must present their ideas on the topic discussed.
5. Give tokens to each student, so that when it’s their turn to speak they have to turn in the token, and this way all students will get a chance to participate.
Here are some tips to use Round Robin Approach Effectively
- Clearly communicate expectations and goals for the round robin teaching strategy to all students and teachers involved.
- Assign specific roles and responsibilities to each student in the round-robin to ensure a smooth transition between students and groups.
- Create a schedule that allows for adequate preparation and transition time between moving to the next student or group.
- Encourage students to collaborate and share resources to ensure consistency and continuity in activities.
- Provide opportunities for students to reflect on their learning and give feedback on the round robin teaching strategy.
- Use technology to facilitate communication and collaboration among teachers and students.
- Monitor and evaluate student progress throughout the round robin teaching strategy to make adjustments as needed.
- Encourage active participation and engagement from all students in the round robin teaching strategy.
- Provide opportunities for cross-curricular connections and integration of subjects.
- Utilize formative assessments to assess student understanding and make adjustments to instruction.
- Create a positive and inclusive learning environment that values diversity and different perspectives.
- Encourage peer teaching and peer feedback among students.
- Continuously communicate and collaborate with parents and guardians to ensure they are aware of their child’s progress and understanding.
The round robin teaching strategy is a great way to encourage students to collaborate and learn together. It helps every student to equally involve in classroom discussions as other students because each input is important. With Classplus you can create your own app and bring your students to one platform and contribute together to grow. To know more, take a FREE demo with our growth experts.
FAQs How To Use Round Robin Approach In Classroom?
A1. The round-robin teaching strategy is used by teachers to get students involved in discussions and brainstorming sessions.
A2. Teachers use a round-robin reading strategy to ensure that students actually read the content and are able to comprehend the text.
A3. The round-robin approach is important to ensure the participation of students in the discussions and brainstorming ideas without any influence.
A4. The challenge with a round-robin approach is that it requires a lot of communication and coordination.
A5. The round-robin approach allows students to be exposed to different teaching styles, subject matter, and learning activities, which can be beneficial for their overall education and development.