Teaching is a very important profession and a good teacher should ensure their students feel comfortable and confident in the classroom. A unique ability, skill, or characteristic defines each student’s personality. Teachers should be very careful with the things to say and do in the classroom. It is important for teachers to understand this because their actions directly impact on student development and their learnings. So, here is a list of things teachers should not do in a classroom.
List of things teachers should not do in a classroom
Teachers must understand each child individually, they need to understand that no two children are similar. They should be careful and aware of a few things in the classroom and avoid using phrases that may weaken students’ confidence and self-esteem.
Let’s discuss about these things teachers should not do in a classroom, to highlight what teachers ideally must not practice while teaching in a classroom
1. Don’t use high tone and derogatory language
No one likes it when they are yelled at. One of the major things teachers should not do is yelling. Doing so would cause the students to dislike you over time, possibly leading to distrust.
Furthermore, you will never be able to follow the classroom management plan if you use high tones and yell at them all the time.
- Students will pay more attention to you when you speak in a normal voice.
- Raising your voice makes it appear like you’re letting off your frustrations in front of your students. On the contrary, teaching will be a lot easier and more enjoyable if there is clear communication between you and your student.
- Using derogatory language or making negative comments in the classroom is one of the other things teachers should not do in a classroom.
- Using such language can lead to making students feel uncomfortable and not respected. This will also lead to setting a bad example for students.
2. Do not compare one student with another
You should avoid making comparisons between students based on their grades, behavior, or anything else. In such circumstances, competition can become out of hand. For example, during exams, when students study strictly to overperform their peers, their stress levels rise, and their learning suffers.
Every student is different and has different abilities and interests, comparing students will lead to creating an unhealthy environment in the classroom. It is one of the major things teachers should not do in the classroom.
- Comparing students will lead to discouragement in collaboration and teamwork.
- When teachers compare students, they fail to recognize individual qualities and progress of students.
- Sometimes students also feel pressurized when they are compared with others. This can affect their performance and over all development.
3. Never mock a student in front of the classroom
One of the most important things teachers should not do in the classroom. In front of other students, never make fun of a student. It is one of the things teachers should not say to students.
Being teased in class can significantly impact a student’s self-esteem. The student will begin to dislike you and will prefer loneliness.
Also read: 5 Strategies To Build Self Confidence And Self Esteem In Student
- The impacted student may begin to miss classes to avoid being mocked and eventually lose interest in their studies.
- Doing such things in the classroom will reduce your respect in front of the students, and they will not listen to you.
- Students need to be appreciated, and teachers must keep in mind not to mock any student.
4. Do not make everything compulsory
You should not make every activity in class mandatory. For example, instead of forcing a child to play, you should find out the cause of the problem personally if he or she is not socializing with other children.
- If a student does not want to participate in sports, you should not force him/her to do so.
- You should try to let the student choose whatever activity he or she wants to do during that time.
- You should try to get to the root of the problem by having a conversation with the concerned child.
5. Do not sit and teach
It is not considered appropriate for a teacher to sit down and teach the entire class. Unless you’re ill or injured, you’re expected to stand or walk around while taking a class, as sitting for long periods is a sign of laziness.
- Moving around during the lecture keeps the students attentive as they don’t wanna get caught.
- While sitting, you won’t be able to notice any student that is not being attentive in the classroom.
- Teachers who sit while teaching may be less able to model behaviours such as attentive listening or good communication.
- While teaching, if teachers are walking and teaching then it can accommodate to different learning styles and keep students engaged throughout the lecture.
6. Do not just follow the textbook
Teachers frequently teach everything directly from the textbook, which can be tiring and monotonous. In addition, it causes your students to be completely disinterested in your lecture.
They want the opportunity to practice and experiment with their new skill because they are learning something new. As a result, rather than simply teaching whatever is in the textbook, make sure you connect some activities to it.
7. Never choose favorites in the classroom
One of the most important things you should avoid is picking favorites among your students. Favoritism and nepotism have the potential to harm students. Both the teacher’s favorite and the least favorite students suffer.
Teachers are also human beings, and it’s tough to keep track of everything we say. We impact people throughout our lives, both positively and negatively, depending on the situation.
- You should always be fair to every student.
- Regarding children, it’s extremely important to be cautious with your words and behavior.
Finally, teaching is a wonderful vocation that demands patience, effort, and continuous growth. While there are numerous excellent teaching strategies, it is also critical to understand things teachers should not do in the classroom.
Teachers may establish a happy and effective learning environment that benefits themselves and their students by avoiding the seven things outlined in the blog.
Instead, let us remember that every child can learn and grow, and it is your responsibility as an educator to assist them in reaching their full potential. So, let us strive to be the best teachers we can be, giving your children the education and direction they need.
If you are passionate about teaching and want to excel as an online teacher and expand your online coaching business. Then Classplus is here to help, get your own coaching app where you can easily connect with all your students, generate 10X income, track student performance etc. To know more, connect with our growth experts and take a FREE demo now!
Things Teachers Should Not Do In The Classroom FAQs
A1. Teachers should avoid comparing students, mocking them, and making everything compulsory.
A2. Three things teachers should never do is humiliate their students, yell at them, and stop lessons over minor infractions.
A3. One of the bad habits for teachers is using textbooks as a script and only following textbooks while ignoring practical lectures.
A4. A teacher should always be prepared with the students and stay organized.