The teaching sector has witnessed a tremendous change in this Pandemic. It moved to online teaching platforms. This sudden shift to the visual mode took time to cope up with for students as well as teachers. But virtual classroom was the only medium to get connected with the students, therefore it become necessary for both teachers and students to learn the know-how of Online Learning. This was the time when the importance of online classroom etiquette was felt. These etiquettes help the students and teachers to conduct and make online learning streamlined and run smoothly.
Why are Online Classroom Protocols Important?
There is a sudden increase in imparting online education in the last few years. The online mode of conducting classes has become the only way to stay connected with the students and help them to educate well. As we know that etiquette inside the classroom is the essence to maintain a disciple. In the same way, the mode of conducting classes went visual, it also had some etiquette guidelines. Therefore the participants of online teaching platforms are required to understand and adhere to the online classroom etiquette. These etiquettes help to create an inclusive and respectful environment for teaching and learning. It assists in Class management in the following ways:
- The discussion between the instructor or teacher and the students is more focused.
- The teaching goes on track and is respectful.
- There is no room for misunderstanding as communications are completely integrated.
- There is smooth communication between the two with good behavior and polite language.
- As a strong connection is built, it maintains a healthy relationship between teachers and students.
Online education has made it possible both for the students and teachers to come to a place ensuring their safety by staying and learning online. But the role of parents is also greater than before. The online classroom etiquettes are not only confined to students and teachers but are extended to parents also. So, let’s know about some of the etiquettes which every person associated with visual classrooms should follow.
Online etiquettes for students
Following etiquettes should be observed by the students learning through online classes:
- Be punctual: The student should be on time when there is an online platform as the class can be only started when all students can join. Therefore students should be ready as per the schedule by setting reminders for the fixed time.
- A proper location: A location for an online class should be such that a student can be comfortable in learning and understanding. The location should be clean, non-distracting, neutral background, and a quiet place.
- Use proper language: Proper and polite language should be used by the students both in communicating verbally and in text. Writing in CAPS and cracking a joke seems to be impolite over visual interaction. Facial expressions and tone also indicate how you are interacting with others.
- Be present and participate fully: Presence does not mean just joining the class. The student should be able to see the screen and the content displayed over it. The student needs to pay attention, share his views and take notes on what he feels to be important. This helps in becoming an active learner.
- Avoid multitasking: To be an active and good learner, it is a must that students should be focused on what is being taught. So, they should avoid surfing other things on the internet. It may be distracting and there can be miscommunication also.
Online Etiquettes for Teachers
Following etiquettes are to be observed by teachers in conducting online classes:
- Online and dressed formally: To begin the class on time, a teacher should be on time and dressed up formally. This helps in maintaining the decorum of the class.
- Well prepared and ready with teaching aids: The teacher should be well prepared with the topics which he will be going to take so that he can be ready with the queries being asked by the students. Quick access to teaching aid helps in saving time and ensuring clarity of what is being taught.
- Choose a place that is free from distraction: For conducting classes, a teacher should choose a location that is free from distraction and not noisy. The students may not concentrate when there is a distraction from TV sound, outside noise, and incoming calls.
- Clear visibility: The teacher should ensure that the content shown should be visible to the students. The screen of the laptop can be used properly so that it should be stable and learners can see the content properly and understand it.
No matter whether it is teaching to small age group kids or college level students, better classroom management helps to achieve a great learning experience. By following sets of rules and etiquette, learning can be more productive. Online etiquettes are important for everyone who is a part of it whether it’s students, teachers or parents. Etiquette helps for smooth running of online classes and also brings productivity in the classroom.