If you are someone who is passionate about the English language and ready to share your knowledge with others then you have arrived at the right place. In 2024, the demand for online English teaching has increased, opening the doors for anyone who wants to teach English online.
Whether you are an experienced teacher or a fresher, this blog is the perfect guide for you. We will explore everything about teaching English online by sharing valuable tips with you. From crafting engaging lessons to navigating the digital teaching landscape, we’ve got you covered.
Why Teaching English Online is a Great Way to Earn Money in 2024?
Teaching English online is a great way to earn money in 2024 and to prove that we have listed few points below:
- You can teach students worldwide from home.
- Flexible timings as you can choose your teaching hours.
- The need for online English teachers is growing rapidly.
- Minimal investment required to set up your online classes
- Potential for higher income.
- The best part about online teaching is that you can teach from anywhere in the world.
Things You Need to Start Teaching English Online
To start teaching English online or become an online English teacher, there are several key qualifications and pieces of equipment you’ll need. To mention a few:
1. A TEFL (Teaching English as a Foreign Language), TESOL (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages), or CELTA (Certificate in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages) certification is highly recommended or required if you wish to begin with teaching English online.
2. Many online platforms prefer or require a bachelor’s degree, though not necessarily in education or English.
3. Teaching experience can be a cherry on top, though this is not a mandatory requirement but can be beneficial.
4. Knowing different teaching methodologies is advantageous.
- Reliable laptop or computer to conduct live classes for the place of your comfort.
- High-speed internet connection to ensure smooth video and audio during your online classes.
- A high-resolution webcam for clear video communication.
- Good microphone for online teaching, either built-in or external, to ensure clear audio. Some teachers opt for a headset with an integrated microphone.
- A quiet space to teach without interruptions and good lighting.
- Access to the best tools to ace online teaching whiteboards, presentation software, and language learning apps.
Preparing these qualifications and equipment will help set the foundation for a successful online English teaching career.
How to Teach English Online?
1. Incorporate English literature and media in your lessons
Start with incorporating English literature in media in your lessons. This will help in enhancing the learning experience for your students. You can also use elements from different English novels, films, TV shows, music etc.
Literature exposes students to various writing styles and vocabularies, while movies and TV shows help with listening skills and understanding different accents and speech. Listening to songs is also a great activity to learn about English language.
This method of incorporating English literature and media in your lessons makes learning more interactive and relatable, encouraging students to engage more deeply with the language.
🌟Teach English Online On Your App. Connect Now To Know More!
2. Focus on real-life communication skills
Focusing on real-life communication skills is essential in teaching English online. The goal is to equip students with the ability to use English effectively in everyday situations. This includes conversational English, understanding and using idioms and slang, and developing the ability to express thoughts and ideas clearly.
Practical exercises like role-playing common scenarios, such as ordering food in a restaurant, interviewing for a job, or making small talk, can be very effective. Encouraging students to participate in discussions about their experiences and interests helps them practice speaking in a more natural and relaxed setting.
This focus not only improves their fluency and confidence but also makes learning more relevant and enjoyable.
3. Stay updated with modern English usage
Staying updated with modern English usage is an important aspect of teaching English online. The English language is continuously evolving, with new words, phrases, and usages emerging regularly. As a teacher, staying updated with these changes is important as it ensures that you are teaching an in-demand and popular language.
If teachers are staying updated with the modern English trend they can introduce their students with popular and up-to-date vocabulary. Thereby, helping them to communicate effectively in today’s world.
4. Conduct interactive speaking sessions
Conducting interactive speaking sessions is a key component of an online English teacher. These sessions should be designed to encourage students to actively use and practice their spoken English in a variety of contexts.
This can involve structured activities like debates, storytelling, or impromptu speeches, which help students to think on their feet and express themselves coherently and confidently in English.
The interactive nature of these speaking sessions help in breaking the monotony of traditional language learning, making the process more engaging and effective.
5. Launch extra services like group classes or books
Expanding your online English teaching portfolio by launching additional services such as group classes or educational materials can greatly enhance your offerings. Group classes can cater to students who prefer a more collaborative and interactive learning environment can be themed around specific aspects of English learning, such as business English, conversational practice, or exam preparation.
Writing and publishing e-books or workbooks on various aspects of English learning can also be a valuable resource for students.
🌟Do you wish to get your books published? Connect now for FREE
6. Understand different levels of language
To teach English online, having an understanding of different levels of language proficiency is important when teaching English online. As an instructor, you need to assess and identify the proficiency level of each student, whether your students are a beginner, intermediate, or an advanced learner.
- For beginners, the focus should be on building a strong foundation in basic grammar and vocabulary, using simple and clear language, and gradually introducing new concepts.
- For intermediate students, you can start including a bit complex grammar structures, enhancing vocabulary, and encouraging them to express their ideas and thoughts.
- Advanced students will benefit from in-depth discussions of the language, idiomatic expressions, and advanced vocabulary.
Recognizing and addressing the needs of every students ensures that your lessons are effective, engaging, and appropriate for each student’s learning stage
(Also read: Tips On How To Create Engaging Content)
Other Things to Keep in Mind To Teach English Online
1. Choose a platform to host your courses
Having a platform to host your course on your app is a very crucial thing for an online English teacher. Each platform has its own audience, features, and payment structures. With different features on an online platform, you can teach English online more effectively.
Which platform to choose?
Classplus is one such platform where you can get your own app developed to host your courses. List down all your courses and let your students purchase them from your app itself.
Get access to different features like, your own websites, upload unlimited video lectures, conduct live classes, access a marketing dashboard, keep track of all your students performance etc.
🌟 To know more, you can connect with our growth experts and take a FREE demo now and start your online English teaching journey today!
2. Market your courses
Marketing your courses on different social media platforms is a powerful tool to attract more audience and engage with them in real time. Upload content related to your courses daily to capture attention, make engaging reels or shorts, interact with your followers etc.
You can use Instagram to post interactive stories about your teaching experiences or LinkedIn to share articles about the benefits of learning English.
🌟 Get a Marketing Dashboard on your app to create sales coupons, sending notifications, creating collaterals like posters or thumbnails etc.
3. Prepare a lesson plan
A well-structured lesson plan ensures your online classes are effective and engaging. Structure your lesson plan in a way that is suitable for beginners, intermediates as well as advanced learners.
For beginners, your lesson plan might include basic vocabulary and grammar, whereas for advanced learners, you might focus on complex sentence structures and idiomatic expressions.
4. Set a pricing structure for your courses
Pricing your courses is key to attracting students to buy your courses online. Conduct a competitor analysis to get a fair idea about the latest pricing trends. Consider factors like course length, content complexity, market rates etc.
You can charge per lesson or offer different packages or coupons, like a 10-lesson bundle at a discounted rate, to encourage long-term commitments.
In conclusion, teaching English online presents a unique and rewarding opportunity to connect with learners globally and share the richness of the English language. This field not only allows for flexibility and creativity but also offers the chance to make a significant impact on students’ lives.
Start with your online teaching journey today. Connect with Classplus now, to know more!
Teach English Online FAQs
A1. Get a TEFL or TESOL certification and familiarize yourself with online teaching platforms. Create a profile highlighting your skills and start applying for online English teaching jobs.
A2. Online English teachers typically earn between approximately ₹825 to ₹3,300 per hour in Indian Rupees (INR), depending on their qualifications, experience, and the teaching platform they use.
A3. A bachelor’s degree is often required, but some online teaching jobs may accept applicants with a TEFL certification and no degree.
A4. Obtaining a certificate can take a few weeks to several months. If a degree is required, it typically takes 3-4 years to complete.
A5. Secure a TEFL certification, research visa and country-specific requirements, and apply for positions through schools or language institutes abroad.