In Indian society, teaching has traditionally been seen as a respectable profession because it provides a steady and respectable career and income. Because a teacher guides the future of both the young and the nation, it is thought to be the most responsible profile.
In addition to teaching, a lecturer at a college or university has several other duties. If you have a strong dedication to and desire for a profession as a college professor, you must be aware of all the specifics. So if you are willing to become a lecturer in India, this article will definitely help you.
In universities and colleges, a professor is a specialist who teaches both theoretical and practical courses. To instruct your students, your duties as a lecturer and assistant professor also include conducting research in your field and publishing research papers, theses, and journals. Additionally, you can be working on admin profiles and participating in university and college administration. Many of you will also participate in numerous activities at colleges and universities. Some of you will put all of your efforts into securing university grants for more research.
One of the most prestigious positions one might have in India is a lecturer. Candidates can anticipate a career as a Lecturer at any University with certain lecturer qualifications like if they earn a master’s degree in any field.
What are the competitive exams that are needed to become a professor
To seek a career as a professor, you must take the following competitive exams:
NET (National Eligibility Test) Exam for Lecturer
NTA (National Testing Agency) holds the competitive test known as NET, often referred to as UGC NET, to choose candidates for the lecturer and JRF profiles.
You must have a master’s degree with at least a 55 percent grade point average from an accredited university in order to apply for this exam.
You can submit an application for an Assistant Professor position at reputable colleges and universities around the nation if you pass the exam and acquire your UGC NET Certificate.
GATE (Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering)
The GATE Committee, which is made up of academics from IISc Bangalore and the seven IITs, administers the Graduate Aptitude Test, a nationwide competitive test.
After submitting your research papers as your Ph.D. thesis, you can apply for professor or lecturer positions at IITs or NITs using your GATE score.
SLET (State Level Eligibility Test)
The National Testing Agency also administers the SLET, a state-level test. You will be qualified to apply to and cooperate with state-level colleges and universities after passing the SLET.
The Nationwide Testing Agency administers the CSIR NET, a national exam. Life sciences, physical sciences, chemical sciences, mathematical sciences, and earth sciences are all covered in the exam.
Candidates’ ability to apply for a Junior Research Fellowship (JRF) or Lectureship is determined by this exam (LS).
Skills Requirements for Lecturers:
- Lecturers should be able to talk in front of groups of people.
- They should be adept at creating lesson plans and seminar materials, assigning and marking homework, quizzes, and exams, and keeping track of and evaluating the progress of students.
- Additionally, they should be able to create new lessons and instructional materials, maintain records, and perform other administrative duties.
- Additionally, they should make it a practice to attend gatherings, take professional development classes and workshops, and speak with prospective pupils.
- As personal tutors, they should have supported students and assisted with issues; supervised practical work, work placements, or field trips.
Salary of Lecturer in India
Beginning at between Rs.40,000 and Rs.50,000 per month, the lecturer might expect to earn up to Rs.70,000 with experience and promotions. In addition to taking a career as a lecturer in a private or government college or senior secondary school, where earnings are very good, one can also enroll in a private tutoring program.
Making a successful career is no longer a difficult challenge for deserving and diligent individuals, thanks to the expansion of the education sector.
Indian professors’ roles and responsibilities
The following are the duties and functions of a professor in India:
- A professor uses lectures, debates, and demonstrations to teach one or more subjects.
- Modify teaching methods and course materials to accommodate students’ varied needs and interests.
- They conduct extensive research and experiments to deepen their expertise.
- Maintain accurate and thorough student records in line with legal standards, district policies, and administrative mandates.
- Homework and class assignments ought to be graded.
- Set up classrooms and materials in advance of class activities.
- Monitor and evaluate kids’ academic progress, behavior, social development, and physical well-being.
- To prepare, administer, and grade tests and assignments and to monitor students’ progress.
The Final Thought
To become a lecturer in India, you have to follow all the above guidelines and prepare hard to become a successful lecturer. If you have a passion for teaching and want to expand your online coaching business, then Classplus is here to help you. Get your own personalized app and reach out to a larger number of students across the country. To know more, connect with us and talk to our experts now!