Classroom communication is a process where students and teachers exchange their thoughts and ideas. Establishing effective classroom communication at a young age is a crucial step in developing a child and future learning.
The communication skills learned by the student at school are essential across all aspects of life. It has also been noted that a supportive teacher-student relationship positively impacts a student’s achievement. Developing such relationships allows the student to freely discuss their thoughts and ideas with everyone and create an open environment in which questions can be asked without the risk of being judged.
Effective classroom communication helps you build a safe learning environment where the student can thrive, prosper and learn. Here are some top ways for effective classroom communication
Here are some ways of effective classroom communication to set up in classroom
1. A safe environment
One of the most effective and important ways for effective classroom communication is to create a safe environment. If you want your student to open up and share his/her thoughts and ideas, then you need to create a safe and positive classroom environment where the student feels comfortable. You should create an atmosphere where a student can ask for help without hesitation.
- A non-judgmental classroom communication should be created in all the stages of your teaching process.
- You can create a policy where the student can talk about anything. This can be a great way to promote good communication skills.
- Give your students some extra time before or after the class if they need some help or if they feel shy to ask questions in class.
2. Teamwork promotes communication
Teamwork and team activities are great if you want your students to take the focus off from competing with one another and focus more on working together and getting better results. This is one of the ways for effective classroom communication that will encourage the students towards effective communication, cooperation and collaboration more. Teamwork is an important skill as it will be needed in their future lives.
- You can split the students into pairs or small groups and organize games and quizzes into your lesson plans.
- The students will express themselves more with their peers.
3. Positive feedback
This is quite common for teachers to forget to mention when a child has performed well. Instead, they only focus on the negative aspects, such as bad behavior. This usually demoralizes the student. If you want effective communication in your class, you need to promote ways for effective classroom communication.
- Students who constantly receive praise are likely to believe they can accomplish a task.
- This will increase a student’s confidence and create a supportive environment.
- You should also tell your students to provide positive feedback to one another, which will teach them the importance of gratitude and appreciation.
- Asking your students for feedback will show them that their opinion matters to you.
4. Keep moving around the classroom
You should not stand at the front of the classroom; instead, keep moving around the classroom and get involved with the students. This is one of the best ways for effective classroom communication.
- You can join them at their desk to discuss ideas or get involved with them in small discussions. This will make them feel more comfortable and will let them open up to you.
- In addition, you can motivate students who usually don’t speak to participate in classroom discussions by moving close to them.
Suggested – Importance Of Group Discussion In Teaching
- Some students don’t like to speak aloud in front of the whole class, so by moving close to them, your student may raise their voices without any pressure.
5. Active listening = effective classroom communication
Incorporate a habit of listening to your students, do not just respond and give an immediate answer. If you want to promote a supportive and caring environment for your students, you need to listen to their problems.
- Don’t get irritated if a student is asking some questions about a topic that has already been taught twice in the class.
- One of the best ways of effective classroom communication is listening to your students will enable you to provide them with better assistance and education.
- Likewise, teach your students the skills of active listening too. This will help them connect with their peers more and improve their ability to understand. This is a form of effective communication.
Creating ways for effective classroom communication between you and your student can be challenging, but it is the most fundamental part of the teaching process. Effective communication makes the students feel safe and comfortable, where a student will feel able to contribute and share his/her thoughts aloud in front of the whole class.
Effectively communicating with your students without any hassle can be made easier through your app. You can easily conduct live classes and connect with your students from anywhere. You can get all the benefits of new technologies while you are committed to your work. So wait no more and connect with our growth experts and take a FREE demo to know more!
5 Ways To Establish Effective Communication in the Classroom FAQs
A1. The 5 communication methods are verbal communication, non-verbal communication, visual communication, written and listening communication.
A2. Classroom communication in education means a student or group of students’ messages is directed towards the entire class, such as asking a question during class discussion.
A3. In the classroom, the type of communication teachers have is interpersonal.
A4. There are different classroom communication strategies. Some of them are active listening, body language, teamwork, feedback, etc.
A5. The elements of classroom communication are the communicator, the message, and the receiver.